Sunday, August 27, 2006

Shhh... it's a secret!

So I am making this Cd for my younger brother Tyler... it is partially a be-lated B-day present for him (his birthday was in March- I know I am a horrible sister). It also is kind of a present for me as well... in a round-about way. Let me explain... Tyler is a wonderful singer... which is not uncommon in my freakishly-musically-inclined family... and this is his senior year in choir. He is a tenor and from what I hear, he is the best in choir - the theory that the youngest child in the family is the coolest is proven true in my family. Anyways he sings at the top of his lungs in his room ALL THE TIME! The problems that accompany that are the fact that he will do it all night unless I yell for him to shut up so I can get some sleep... the other problem is that he sings the same songs over and over again. So I was talking to Amy about all this, and she sparked the idea to make him a CD of all the songs from musicals that he can sing... give him options to switch it up, and I'll ensure they are songs enjoy listening to... So I am making him a CD.

Tracks so far (these can be changed if I find better songs...)

Who Am I? - Les Miserables
Shiksa Goddess - Last Five Years
Empty Chair at Empty Tables - Les Miserables
Why God Why? - Miss Saigon
King of the World - Songs for a New World
Your Song - Moulin Rouge*
On the Deck of Spanish Sailing Ship 1942 - Songs for a New World
Hey There - Pajama Game
The Music of the Night - Phantom of the Opera
Fortune Favors the Brave - Aida
One Song Glory - Rent
She Cries - Songs for a New World
Moving too Fast - Last Five Years*
What You Own - Rent
High Flying Adored - Evita*
One the Street Where you Live - My Fair Lady
Finishing the Hat - Sunday in the Park with George
Suppertime - You're a Good Man Charlie Brown*
Elaborate Lives - Aida
Agony - Into the Woods
No More - Into the woods*

* Songs I am still debating...

Amy I am hoping you can come up with more... and anyone else out there let me know of songs to add for Tyler... I guess they don't have to be musical theater songs... but he does enjoy a good belting song. So send your ideas.

Thanks

P.S. Amy... do you have the CD for South Pacific with Harry Connick Jr.?

6 comments:

linda t said...

the song "You lift Me Up" by that Josh guy.

linda t said...

ooh... ooh... I thought of another...
He loved this song we played over and over on our trip to WI... the Bon Jovi song "Ring those Bells"
oh my gosh... Tyler sounded better than Bon Jovi!

Amy T Schubert said...

no, I don't have the Harry cd ... I wish ...

I vote no against most of the debated songs ... except your song from moulin rouge ... I also maybe vote against the sunday in the park w/ george song, just because it's not much of a singing song ... yknow?

also add bring him home from les mis ... the confrontation (which is an awesome solo) from Jekyll and Hyde, and Grow for me from Little Shop ... I'm trying to think of other songs Kevin sang in HS cause he did all the tenor songs ...

actually ... I changed my mind ... you make Tyler a cd and give me the finished song list, and then I'll make him a second one ... cause I keep thinking of songs from all these shows you don't know (Scarlet pimpernel, secret garden, martin guerre) w/ great great tenor songs ...

let me know when you're done so i can start!

Amy T Schubert said...

ok. I made my list. ... and I have to take one song off ... so, if you can fit it .. put 'if i didn't beleive in you' on your cd ... good?

NanAZ said...

Amy, do you remember all the songs that Kevin sang in HS? If not, maybe you can ask him. I have some of them on video, but would have to dig them out. He did some awesome ones! The Les Mis song made me cry and I had never seen the show.

Hey, for fun, why don't you throw in Mr. Roboto? We could even give Tyler a copy of kev's video. What do you think? It's hilarious! What a great project! Have fun!

Shawnie T said...

I'm going to be honest...the amount of people that can actually help you with musical songs has been compiled here in you comments section...so what I'm trying to say is...(runs away)