Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Goonies


I have finally seen the Goonies... I had never seen it before today... okay, you can wipe that shocked look off your faces (the same look I recieve from everyone who hears I have never see the Goonies).

It is a really cute movie... but sadly I must say that it holds no nostagic value to me as it does to every other person around my age. Everyone else grew up on this movie, fitting it in as a staple of their youth, but I never did - so all the inside jokes and quotes are lost on me. Yes, I know I had a deprived childhood... I am working thru that. What I loved most about the movie was watching little Samwise Gamgee (Sean Astin)... he was precious! And the creepy sloth guy was just odd... I didn't get it. But those Goonies won out in the end! God bless 'em.

Although I hold no affection for the Goonies movie, I still have Anne of Green Gables, Back to the Future, Rad, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey, and Flight of the Navagator to define my childhood for me. What wonderful movies they were too.

4 comments:

jinx protocol said...

What's funny is that I have a friend who just saw it, like, two weeks ago and I was incredulous.

I thought it was mandatory these days to have seen the Goonies at least once!

Amy T Schubert said...

yay for the goonies!! yay for little Sean Astin!!! I'm so glad you've finally seen it!! yay for pillars of your childhood! that's a scrapbook page if I ever heard one ... oh, and you can't claim Anne of Green Gables until you've READ THE BOOK(s) ... I have 2 copies, if you want to borrow one ...

Anonymous said...

okay I was a little shocked that you of all people hadn't seen Goonies. I was called Chunk in school because of that movie or at least I hope that is why!! Oh and you are the only other person that I have heard mention Rad I loooved that movie! I think I should rent it since I know Joe hasn't seen it!

Aaron said...

I was going to start feeling bad for having seen Goonies so late in the game (maybe two years ago), but then I realized IT WAS RELEASED IN 1985. As a culturally-aware toddler, I did all I could to keep up, but some things just slip through the cracks, I guess. Of course, had I been able to see it around that time, maybe I too could still be drinking the "This is a good movie" Kool-Aid. Its legacy lives on nostalgia alone.