Sunday, January 23, 2011

Traveling through the Bible (Philippians 1) Part 3...

3. Walking worthy...
Philippians 1:27:
"Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; in no way alarmed by your opponents..."
Frances Chan spoke at Passion on this passage and said something that has haunted me ever since. He used the illustration of scales and placed the Bible on one side and talked about how our lives were on the other side. He asked each of us, "Is your life a reflection of the gospel? Based on what you know to be true about Christ and salvation in Him, does your life reflect that?"
What I love about Frances Chan is that he says those things in the most non-threatening way.
It floored me that I so often walk through life behaving like I don't know the truth that I follow Christ, who is more powerful than anything life could throw at me. I walk around with stress, fear, sadness, despair, and bitterness.
"In all things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." Romans 8:37
 Yet, my life does not balance out to the weight and power of the gospel.

Paul's statement is not a call to DO more. It is not one of those "be better" statements. It is a call to remember the truth of our situation in our salvation through Christ.

A manner worthy of the gospel of Christ:
* standing firm in one spirit - not only is Paul saying to stand in the spirit, but also standing firm in ONE spirit. This is talking about other believers. Philippians is written to the whole church in Philippi and Paul was warning against petty disagreements throughout the church that were not worth their time. In light of the gospel, stupid disagreements amongst believers is a WASTE OF TIME!!!
* one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel - Again reiterating that agreeing in one mind is what will help advance the gospel and the truth of Christ to non-believers. When the world looks at Christianity they see that even a faith that claims to have the answer and the undeniable truth can't even agree amongst themselves.
* in no way alarmed by opponents - "If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31
As I said before I walk around in fear and stress and uncertainty feeling as if the world is getting the better of me ALL THE TIME! Why do I do this?? Christ came into this world so that we may have life abundantly... his peace is the peace that surpasses all understanding. So why is it that I feel defeated? Why don't I remember that I am a conqueror with Christ! That what matters in the world is Him and only Him! My desires, pursuits, ambitions, hopes, EVERYTHING is nothing without Him.

Does my life reflect this truth? Do I live as if I am saved by the Creator of the Universe? Do I live as if the perfect and blameless son of God BECAME sin on my behalf so that not only would I get to spend eternity with Him, but that I would, IN THIS VERY MOMENT, be free from the power of sin - my own sin and the sin of this world!

No comments: